Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Cork in June

Over the weekend I joined Christian in Cork, Ireland. He had been there for a week for a workshop-style summer school at the Cork Constraint Computation Centre, with some others from the University of Strathclyde. Since I brought the camera, the pictures begin the day after I arrived. As usual more photos are up on flickr.

This is the view down from our hotel room.

For my first full day in Cork, I was on my own and encountered many interesting buildings. This is just down the street from our hotel.

Lots of great mixtures of old and new.


This is where Christian and the other intellectuals worked.

I had one of the best sandwiches of my life here. Feta and sun dried tomatoes with grilled veggies on the freshest of fresh whole grain bread.

Here's the aftermath. No time for a photo beforehand.

I considered purchasing a vacation home in the area for the bargain price of €495 000.

I walked into this little bargain shop and was greeted by the shop owner, a black cat with a nub for a tail. He followed me around the store to make sure I didn't steal anything.

The English Market is a great spot, as long as you don't mind lots of inside-out animals.

The University College Cork campus is absolutely beautiful, and it smells like flowers everywhere.


The Lewis Glucksman Gallery is on the campus, and it's spectacular.

Christian was intrigued by this work's comment on the status of the artist.... and he also pondered the meaning of his own existence.

Leaving the Glucksman.

About to have a picnic in the park with Ginger.

Ginger. The tired old pup with a very talkative old companion who chatted us up for a long while about his lovely dog. He had an old photo folded in his pocket of Ginger from many years back.

Inside Father Matthew Holy Trinity Church later that day.


We left the spiritual place to get a pint of the local brew.

A scary smile in the elevator.


The alley that lights up at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment